Maschio Angioino o Castel Nuovo

Naples is an extraordinary city, known throughout the world. Among the many monumental complexes that characterise it, there is one that has always been counted among the city’s symbols: the Maschio Angioino or Castel Nuovo.

Just head towards the sea, leaving behind Piazza Trieste e Trento, where the San Carlo Theatre stands, and you will come across the magnificent Renaissance stronghold: Castel Nuovo. The latter, so called to distinguish it from Castel dell’Ovo and Castel Capuano, which already existed in the city, is better known as Maschio Angioino.

Ticket price

Full Price: Є 6,00

Opening hours

9.00 AM - 6.30 PM
closed on Sundays

Address and Contacts

Piazza Municipio - Naples
Ticket office phone number +390817957722

How to get to the Maschio Angioino

from the Vomero area

Central Funicular (Piazzetta Fuga – Via Toledo)

from the Central Zone

Urban buses 202 (Corso Umberto – Via De Pretis) and R2 (Stazione Centrale – Piazza Trieste e Trento)

from the Chiaia area

C25 (Piazza Vittoria – Galleria Vittoria – Acton – Piazza Bovio – Via Diaz – Medina – Municipio – Via San Carlo)

From the port

Metro line 1. Museum stop, 100 m walk.
Bus 201 from via Medina to via Cavour;
Bus R1 from via Medina to Piazza Museo.

From the airport

Alibus* to Central Station + Metro (line 1 or 2)

*6:30 am to 11:40 pm (Mon-Fri)
*from 6:30 to 23:50 (Sat-Sun and public holidays)

By Cumana railway

Stop Montesanto, 10 minutes on foot (follow Via Roma northwards).

By bus

other terminals 139, 168, c63, 178

By car

Tangenziale, exit Capodimonte. Arrival in about 5 minutes.
Turn left at the toll booth and continue for 2 kilometres on Corso Amedeo di Savoia.

Tram lines

1 (Poggioreale – Via Marina)

Metro Line 1

(Garibaldi, Università, Municipio)

The history of the Maschio Angioino

Castel Nuovo, or Maschio Angioino, was built in 1284 at the behest of Charles I of Anjou and was completely rebuilt in the 15th century by the Aragonese.

The work, carried out by the Spaniard Guillermo Sagrera, served to convert the building into a fortress. The ramparts were raised, which had become necessary to combat the new firearms. The five cylindrical corner towers were also built, anchored on truncated conical bases with strong grooves, and the structure was given a new trapezoidal shape.

On the outside there is an imposing Triumphal Arch, indicating access to the city, which was erected in honour of Alfonso I of Aragon in 1443, the year he entered Naples. The superb Triumphal Arch stands at the centre of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance culture and was the work of Iberian, Flemish and Italian (Tuscan and Roman) masters.

The bastioned enclosure, which denoted the fortress, was demolished between 1871 and 1939, a period in history when the inaccurate term Maschio Angioino, the name by which Castel Nuovo is known, began to spread.

The interiors of the Maschio Angioino

Inside the Castel Nuovo, or Maschio Angioino, there is the remarkable Palatine Chapel, in which fragments of the frescoes painted by Giotto and his workshop are visible, and its elegant Renaissance portal. The central courtyard leads to the Sala dei Baroni, now the seat of the Municipal Council. This room is the most spectacular work attributed to Guillermo Sagrera.

The room is almost the size of a perfect cube, with its 26 meters per side and a height of 28. The walls, bare, are dominated by a majestic ribbed vault, forming the design of a huge star open at the top from an oculus. Unfortunately, the sculpted decorations, which were destroyed by the fire of 1919, are no longer visible today. The Picture Gallery is spread over two floors in the west wing and there are other works from the Civic Museum. Here, paintings and art objects from some of the main monumental complexes of Naples are exhibited.

The Maschio Angioino's opening hours and prices

Ticket price:

  • Full Price: Є 6,00

Opening hours

  • The ticket office is open from 9.00 to 18.30 every day except Sunday and can be reached on +39 081 7957722
  • For online booking visit the official page.

Address:

  • Piazza Municipio